Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Value of a Lazy Day


Before hiking the Appalachian Trail last year, I don't think that I fully understood the value of a lazy day. Even though most people would call me laid back, I tend to be a pretty driven person. I like to have a project to sink my teeth into, a job to work on, a goal to accomplish. Even with 6 months of not being plugged in to what we referred to on the trail as "The Matrix" (real life), I still battle being sucked back in to that old mindset constantly.

Since today is the 4th of July, we're closing the shop and taking the day off. OH REALLY??? Yeah - I admit, we have a plan of riding our bikes to Girard Park to run, then going over to P&P to try to get on top of organizing our new office. Hmm... sounds like maybe I'm plugging back into that matrix more than I would like to admit.

I'm afraid that I don't have any words of wisdom on this. I like being goal driven. It makes me feel good to get something accomplished. But - being good at enjoying a lazy day seems to take just as much determination. Have some friends over. Enjoy a good book. Lay in a hammock. Quiet your "Matrix" self long enough to let the lazy magic begin to take effect.

So - On this national holiday, my hope is that you are having one (a holiday), that you are working on your "Lazy Skills", unplugging from the matrix and allowing life to take you where it wants to go.

No comments: